February 3rd, 2016
Spend Valentine’s Day with Your Dog!
With another Valentine’s Day is approaching, the special someone I want to spend the day with is my dog!
After my husband passed away in 2013, Yankee has been there to love and support me in a way that no one else could. From curling up next to me on the couch in the evening to egging me on to go play ball with him, he has been by my side and helped me overcome the most difficult time in my life. There is no one more special to me.
So on Valentine’s Day, a day that celebrates love, I want to honor this important relationship.
What about you? Do you have a special dog in your life?
While couples celebrate the day with chocolates, flowers, romantic dinners, and such, your dog would probably prefer a day spent with you doing the things he enjoys. For Yankee, that would be playing ball, something he loves as much as he loves food!
What is it your dog would enjoy?
If you’re at a loss for ideas here are some suggestions for ways to spend quality time with him.
- Go for a hike, weather permitting. Most parks are dog friendly as long as your dog is leashed, and this gives your dog wonderful new opportunities to sniff new smells and experience a new outdoor setting.
- Instead of bringing home a new toy, take him to a pet store and let him pick out a new toy he wants.
- Give him something special for dinner, as long as it’s healthy.
- Take him along if you go out to dinner. Many restaurants are dog friendly and it allows you to spend more time with him.
- Go away together for the weekend to a dog friendly location you both enjoy.
- Spoil him with a massage. Massage is a wonderful way for your dog to relax, and the health benefits are well documented.
- Play your dog’s favorite game with him.
- For a lifetime of memories, have a professional pet portrait done of your dog. I recently did this with Le Puparazzi, and am very glad I did. I have a beautiful work of art that captures Yankee to a tee.
No matter how you celebrate this day, choose to spend it with your dog. You’ll be richly rewarded in return!